Our 2012 contest has ended. Thanks to all of our entrants and winners!
Join us for the Zoo’s First Annual ZooLights Gingerbread Contest! Gather your candy canes, gum drops and your imagination this winter to design and build a zoo worthy gingerbread house.
You could win the grand prize of an exclusive, keeper-led tour through the zoo and meet some of your favorite animals up close and personal!
This competition is open to all ages. One grand prize and one honorable mention will be awarded to each of the following categories:
- Family Team: Teams with adults and children. Teams must amount to a minimum of two participants, but are not to exceed five participants. Teams may be comprised entirely of youth, or of adults and youth.
- Adult Individual: Adults ages 15 or over who are working alone.
- Youth Individual: Children up to 14 who are working alone or minimally supervised
Winner in each category plus 4 guests will receive a keeper-led tour through the Gulf Breeze Zoo. At least one adult must accompany the tour. Winner and guests are guaranteed up close and personal interactions with animal ambassadors during the tour.
One lucky runner up/team in each category will be awarded a family 4 pack of Zoolights passes.
One entry per individual or group will be accepted. A completed registration form is required. There is a $15 non-refundable fee to enter, which must be paid to enter. Due to space limitations, the ZOO will only accept the first 30 registrations. Registration will close at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 30th, or after 30 registrations are received.
- Entry must be original and include animal related theme and/or components. All entries must be solely constructed by the individual or group entering the competition. Adults should assist with operating the oven and/or stovetop regardless of category entered.
- The gingerbread house entry must be delivered in completed form attached to a sturdy base, such as plywood, to be freestanding. Bases shall be no bigger than 18" L x 12" W.
- Gingerbread house entries should display mostly edible materials, but are not limited to candy. "Edible" materials can include cereals, nuts, cookies, chips, crackers, pasta, and any other food item appropriate.
- Zoo staff reserves the right to discard, at any time, any gingerbread creation in decay or disrepair.
- Competitors must email, fax or mail a completed registration form and non-refundable fee to be entered. A copy of the registration form must be included when you deliver your gingerbread house. Entries must be delivered to the Gulf Breeze Zoo’s front desk by Friday, November 30th between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Select Staff of the Zoo, as well as distinguished guests of the community, will judge this competition. Entries will be judged on overall appearance, originality and creativity.
- Winners will be notified and prizes awarded by email by Friday, December 1, 2012. All rulings by the judges are final.